January 10, 2009

The full moon ...

...may really make a difference for women expecting a baby...

Nancy is in labor as I type this. She had a breech boy, Karl, in her, Dr. was able to turn him (incredible!), her water broke a little while ago, she is providing us with a play by play via text updates and now she is on her way to a full moon baby...

LauraSNJ (no blog) from the PAL board went into the Hospital last night in labor 5 weeks early! Keeping my fingers crossed for her that she and her baby boy, Parker, are doing well this morning or are on their way to having a full moon birthday...

Morgan was scheduled to have her baby boy, Mason, sometime Thursday (ok I know it's not the full moon-but close enough) but we haven't heard from her yet...if she had him vaginally we should hear from her today or tomorrow..but if she wound up with a C section it most likely won't be till early next week...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Full Moon Theory

The theory is that the moon's gravitational pull effects the amniotic fluid in much the same way as it effects the water in the sea, rivers and even the water that's otherwise found in our bodies.

As a woman's body prepares for natural childbirth, the amniotic sac becomes distended so the point where it will easily burst if put under pressure. Under normal circumstances, the pressure of labor contractions bursts the sac. During a full moon, the pressure caused by the moon's effect on the water inside the sac can cause the same things to happen, but without the accompanying contractions

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hmmm...could I potentially have a Full Moon Baby? I suppose there is a chance....a low one...but still a chance.

I am technically "full term" tomorrow (37W) per certain reading materials. My Dr. advised that as of this weekend I would not be sent to UCONN (high risk deliveries and pregnancies) if I were to go into labor, I would continue to Middlesex (Local).

There are 22 day until my EDD from this full moon and the next full moon is 9 days after my EDD (UGH) but the reality of the situation (if you read into and believe the hype) is that you will deliver close to or on the full moon date closest to your due date...that sucks. 9 days overdue would be pretty shitty.....but as I've said before I am not about to force this boy or girl out. They will come when he/she is ready or when the Dr. says we can wait no longer..

3 comments:

Kim said...

Kim from PAL. I follow you but haven't commented.

Isn't it cool that Nancy is giving play by play awesome!

On the full moon thing, I don't know if I believe it. I had my DS#1 4 days AFTER a full moon (my water broke), my DD#1 there was a full moon on her edd, and I went 9 days over due.

Caden I haven't looked, but I wonder if my water breaking had anything to due to a full moon. I doubt it.

I know they say that more babies are born during a full moon. I wonder if it just effects those who would be going into labor within a few days anyway? Hmm maybe I will do a poll on my other board and get back to you with results.

Cheysu said...

I had Abby 9 days after the full moon, which was also the first lunar eclipse of the new millenium and around the same time as a bunch of huge earthquakes hit the other side of the world.

I went into labor as a massive snow storm was approaching and the pressure dropped.
There was no one else in the maternity ward when I entered. By the time I had Abby, 6 hours later, 5 other women had come in in labor.

All the nurses said it was because of the storm.

I was three weeks early with Abby... but as far as the water thing goes, my didn't break until my first push, about 14 minutes before Abby was born.

So there's my story. I hope you have a quiet and safe night, and enjoy the sound of snowflakes falling.

nancy said...

That play by play blogging of labor was fun. I should have done more. heh.