...well maybe not ever, but damn it was good and came when I needed it really bad! All sorts of people come out of the woodwork with advise when you are pregnant or just had a baby. Most of it is common sense or throw away advice. But on occasion you get a gem worth passing on....
I was really struggling with Kira not staying asleep when we put her down in her crib. No matter how dead to the world she was in our arms she would promptly wake up as soon as her head hit the mattress. This makes for a Looooonnnnnggggg night. One of my friends that has a toddler sent me an email with a Fanfuckingtabulous suggestion~
"Place a warm heating pad in the crib for several minutes before putting the baby down. Obviously remove the pad before laying the baby down and don't place the heat setting too high."
This has been our saving grace for about a week now. We can even put her down in her crib while still somewhat awake and she'll fall asleep on her own. It hasn't worked every single time, we've had to go back in and rock her a 2nd time on a couple of occasions, but I would say at least 90% of the time it is working.
I mean think about it right...when you get into bed it is cold right? And we get into bed on our won and have the ability to warm up pretty quickly by pulling the blankets up around us and rubbing our legs together. Babies a) don't have blankets b) don't know that they can get warm by snuggling into themselves c) have really sensitive skin, so the cold sheets are probably "really" cold to them.
So those of you reading this and having the same issue, or those of you reading this that are getting ready to have a baby...feel free to take it or leave it. But I really wanted to share this since it has helped me out so much.
(as a side note, when I take the pad out of her crib I place it on her changing table and leave it turned on. This way when I get up for feedings and diaper changes she gets laid onto a nice warm changing pad too!)
3 comments:
Now why did I never think of that? I have been having those same issues with Caden, and had those issues with Rylee.
I am going to have to try it and see if it works for Caden also, this him wanting to sleep on me all night is not working.
That sounds like a GREAT idea! And one I'm definitely filing away!! Thanks for sharing. :-)
That advice might have helped me..... 8 years ago!!! LOL!! I spent many-a-night rocking Abby to sleep and PRAYING she'd stay that way when I laid her in the crib.
Evie, she's always been a WAY easy sleeper, so I lucked out on that one.
The heating pad is a cool idea though. I'll file that one away for kicks.
Post a Comment