Ever since my long ass walk yesterday my back has been killing me. I know it's because I have not truly exercised in nearly a year. In the beginning of my pregnancy I was still walking daily at lunch, but other than that nothing, no other exercise.
Prior to getting pregnant I was at the gym at least 3-4 times a week, for a really good hour to an hour and a half work out. I was running 3-4 miles 3 days a week, lifting weights 2 of the days and frequently taking aerobic classes and yoga...then I quit it all. I was just SO sick in the beginning of my pregnancy that I literally could not exercise. By the time I felt better I just didn't feel like going back.
Which brings me to today....I didn't gain a lot while pregnant (28lbs), but did put on several lbs (6) while trying to get pregnant. This means my goal is to lose at least 34lbs post pregnancy (I am truly shooting for 38lbs). My "ideal" weight is 142. If I go lower than that my neck bones start to poke out and it looks really gross.
So far I have lost 22lbs (per my MIL scale-not my Dr's)...and that is where I am stalled. Most of my pre-pregnancy close fit ok..but are a bit snug. I have packed up my maternity pants and most of my tops and switched back to my normal clothes...and really don't want to return to work wearing any maternity.
I know that exercise is the only thing to take the rest off and now I need to get myself back into the swing of things. I am returning to work in 2 weeks and will again be walking daily at lunch with a couple of co-workers, but walking won't cut it alone....
During the time that I was pregnant a new 24 hour gym opened 2 miles from my house. I have driven past there at all hours of the day and night and there seems to always be people there. I have thought about joining there once I had the baby since they opened - there is the location and schedule convenience...I stopped there today to get the pricing info. They are comparable to any other "small town" fitness center ($40 a month)..no where near comparable to a Bally's ($19 a month!) and they do not make you sign a contract or pay for a year in advance (although it is substantially less to pay in advance).
So now my dilemma is do I join now and begin light exercise for the next couple of weeks? Or do I wait until I get the all clear from my Dr. on 3/20? I hate to wait that long to even start...but what are the risks? I am thinking of keeping the weight training on hold and just using the elliptical and get jogging again. Those of you that have had vaginal births...what are your thoughts?
2 comments:
how competitive are you when you exercise - meaning will you be able to just keep it to light walking? Or will that crave get the best of you until you push yourself too hard?
Since I can't speak from experience, I don't know what to tell you. But has your doctor told you to hold off on ALL exercise until the 20th? Or can you at least start with light walking?
Post a Comment