January 1, 2011

Day 1....

You would think that the first day of a new year we would all make efforts to "change our ways" "do things differently"...nah that's a bunch of BS....

My day began just like any other weekend day...I was woken by K at a reasonable time (almost 8am! Rock on kiddo Mommy was up late last night watching Dick Clark search for breath and liquid in his mouth after counting backwards from 10!), I spent most of my day cleaning and doing laundry. I also needed to re-decorate my tree....(you see due to my OCD tendencies I took all the ornaments off on Tuesday because K had screwed them all up - but I was having company over today so I needed to re-decorate - PIA).

I did however "take a break" from regularly scheduled programming and had a few co-workers and their spouses over this afternoon. I had extended an "open house" invite to several of the Indian staff that work with me, as well as a few American staff. Only the Indian's showed. Which was fine, and what I had expected. I had some light appetizers and drinks available. It was nice they were able to come to our home, visit outside of work. In a very sweet gesture 2 of them brought a super cute Fisher Price doll house for K. She adores it. It came with some furniture and a Mom, Dad and Baby. I think she may have taken the baby to bed with her tonight.

Blah....boring frigin day to begin 2011....

On the job front - I now have 2 Interviews on 1/11/11. I really need to think long and hard (that's what she said!) about the potential of leaving my company. While the experiences and exposure to knew things is greater by leaving, I risk losing a pretty substantial bonus, 14 years of seniority, 272 vacation hours and short term disability for at least a year. I bring up STD because if we decide to have another child, we will likely do it within the next year (if our bodies cooperate). I don't know what I will do, I suppose at this point I just need to wait and see what happens......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a hard decision and as much as you know which I selfishly would like to see, you need to make sure it is the right one for you. I will say, they treat people pretty equally, whether they have been with the company a week, or 20 years. Just because someone has been there longer doesn't mean they get priority in placement. They would also do everything in their power to help you with your family plans. For Steve and Diane, the owners, family is first. They go to bat for every employee 100%, stay between you and the client as a buffer against politics, and when I started, the wage offer they made me was unreal, truly one I couldn't refuse. Benefits take effect 1 month after start, 401(k) is 3 months, and you can buy reasonable life insurance for your whole family, including K that is transferable. Plus the fun benefits, like concert tickets at the Oakdale, Meadows, and sometimes Mohegan, quarterly company meetings in East Hartford with apps, wine and beer, plus likely a big party this summer for the 20th anniversary and the annual company Christmas party.

That being said, there are no regular bonuses or raises (you could get a raise every 90 days, or could go more then a year depends on your individual situation), vacation time would likely be around 120 hours, unless you can negotiate more, and no purchase option, if you are between gigs, you still get paid and they continue to search for your next thing, but some people can't handle that, and you could be asked to do anything from collating and filing to running errands.