Once we got through the Berkshires, the Mass Pike became the NY Thruway. I never realized how flat this part of NY was. I always pictured "upstate NY" as a mountainous region....nope, it's more like Kansas!
About 4 hours in we switched drivers, but that only lasted about 2 hours cause I was immediately car sick. Luckily I managed to lay down and nap for about an hour and a half but once I woke up I needed to drive again.
(Before I get into the border topic...let me tell you all that my driver side window has acted up pretty much since I bought my car 5 years ago. There would be times that it just wouldn't go down and other times it worked fine. I brought it into the dealership as well as to body shops and basically was told they didn't see anything wrong (cause the window would go down for them) so there was nothing to fix. Fast forward to this past Wed...when my window finally died (thankfully in the closed position). Just in time for 6 tolls each way and border patrol... )
After almost 8 hours in the car, we reached the US/Canada border. Since I couldn't roll down my window I pulled up and opened the driver side door, handed over our passports, and the questions began...
Border Patrol: What is your business in Canada? me: We are here to see the falls.
BP: Where are you coming from? me: CT
BP: Sir? Where are you coming from? T: CT
BP: Where are you staying? me: the Marriot on the Falls
BP: What are yo bringing into the country other than clothes? Me: Nothing T: A few packs of cigs
BP: Sir you are not smoking in the car with her in this condition I hope! T and me: No way, smoking is not allowed in car
BP: Very well, have a nice trip
And he hands me back the passports and off we go...I hope Canada feels safer with that BP! So into Canada we were. It was like driving into LasVegas. Really, Casinos, Fun Houses, Hard Rock Cafe, all sorts of chain restaurants.....
We made our way to the Hotel in about 10 mins, pulled into the vallet parking, grab our bags and rain gear and checked into a room with a serious view!


I'll continue in another post about days 2 and 3 and the tourist stuff we did.....
1 comment:
Ooh fun! I can't wait to see more pics! I've always wanted to go!
Post a Comment