October 14, 2008

Chunky Monkey....

As a woman I have spent the past 12-16 years focused on weight gain, health, exercise, diet, etc. The pressures we have in society to be thin is horrific.

I have never been a "skinny" girl. I have always had curves, especially on top. I was a C cup in the 6th grade. As I got older and wiser and learned more about the status of my body, I found that I was at my happiest and most comfortable at 145lbs. Mind you I am not tall, 5'4" (or is it 5"4' ?), 145 is approx 15 lbs over the Medically recommended weight. What ever.

I joined weight watchers a few years back when my weight got up around 165 and I felt just unhealthy. I knew I needed to do something, but dieting was not for me. I like WW because it was portion control vs. DON'T EAT THAT!

I was able to get down to 135, but was not happy with how I looked. My neck/collar bones seemed to protrude, my body felt...deflated. I immediately gained back 7 lbs and felt so much better.

So being pregnant and actually gaining weight is difficult. Because my mind set has been so focused on staying thin, losing weight, portion control, etc...I have a really hard time watching the numbers go up up up on the scale at the Dr.'s office.

I went yesterday for my 24W appt and gained 8lbs in 4 weeks! OMG! That seems so bad, so unhealthy.

We were on vacation last week, eating out, sitting in the car for 2 full days, but I felt like crap after seeing that number. I have only gained a total of 13lbs so far, which is low for being in the middle of my 6th month, so I really can't focus on that. And frankly I am ok with what ever I gain, whether it is 20lbs or 60lbs...it's just really hard to accept that gaining weight is a good thing when we are always told what a bad thing it is..

4 comments:

The Salesman's Point of View said...

Don't worry about the weight. It won't take long to get back to the weight your comfortable with. It's amazing how that will become so less important when you see how beautiful your baby is.

Welcome to the new world. Not only to become a Mom but a MILF to men everywhere...lol

moosh said...

Take a deep cleansing breath, as you exhale concentrate on the beautiful baby that the weight is nourishing.

Take another breath, as you exhale, focus on the fuel that your body will need to carry that baby, and the energy you're expending to grow life.

One last deep breath, exhale and cast off the societal pressures and realize that you have been doing wonderfully, gaining what you need to.

In case you didn't realize it... that's the exact amount of time it takes to microwave 2 small red potatoes as a snack while you make dinner. Babies need carbs!!!! LOL, thought that would be handy advice for a pregnant woman - potatoes are your friends!

You know I can't give any advice in this area... I'm a chunkamunk to begin with, and I completely succumbed to my love of the potato for both pregnancies, and managed to gain 20 lbs in 5 months. So think of me as worse case scenario - you're doing fine.

nancy said...

it is hard. But goodness. for total weight gain, that's an awesome number!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds like you are doing GREAT to me! Most of my friends have gained about 60+ lbs. during their pregnancy!

Just focus on that little growing bean inside of you. It will make the weight gain worth it to know it's helping to sustain life. :-)