October 27, 2008

Chicken Stew please....

I want to make a really easy chicken stew....something that I can just throw all the crap (unmeasured) in the crock pot at 6am and come home at 6pm to have it ready to be eaten......

Can you help me? What do you use for your base? Do you just use water? Do you use chicken stock? Do you use boneless or bone in pieces? Could you use an actually whole chicken (like a roaster?)

I think I want it thick, like the way my Mom used to make Beef Stew when I was a little girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've never made a chicken stew before. That sounds like a yummy idea! I made beef stew and I try to make it as easy as possible. I buy the precut stew beef (so maybe you can buy the precut chicken that is usually for stir fry?) and I boiled the beef in water to cook it. Then dump the beef (or chicken) AND the water you cooked it in into crock pot. I also cut up potatoes, celery, red onions and then throw in some baby carrots. For beef stew I put in a small can of crushed tomatoes...not sure what I'd do for a chicken stew, I'd have to think about that. I DID also use a package of McCormick beef stew seasoning. And while cooking on low for like eight hours in crock pot, I early on added some flour to thicken it up (I love THICK stew,not watery). Hopefully this helps you come up with variation fo your own chicken stew!

Chele76 said...

I'd be concerend that the chicen meat would overcook and be tough. You can go the old fashioned route and boil the heck out of a de-meated carcas... with carots, celery, onion and potatoes. Add S&P and put (cooked) meat in at the last minute.

I find this easiest to make with a rotissery chicken leftovers....