Baby K had her 2 month shots today...let me just say AWFUL! She screamed so loud, my poor baby. 3 shots, 2 in the right leg and 1 in the left. I held her for her shots and she just grabbed my shirt and screamed and screamed. God I felt horrible.
Once shots were done we plugged her up with a bottle and wham she was quiet. It must be nice to have such a limited memory...
She weighed in at 11lbs 15oz (85th percentile) and 23 and 3/4 inches long (95th percentile). (six weeks ago she was 9.4 and 22.4in)
I asked about sunscreen, all the packages (even the most natural ones I can find) say not to use on babies under 6 months old...my doctor agrees. WTF? This means I can't take her out on the boat or to the beach until August? We practically LIVE on our boat all summer. I may "risk" it and start using it early...I mean isn't it better to use it than to get a sunburn?
She advised no rice cereal in the bottle..period. No "food" until close to 6 months (she will re-evaluate at her 4 month appt)...other than that everything was good. She wants us to do more belly time so that this kids head will become round again. She is getting a SERIOUS flat spot on the right rear part of her skull.
9 comments:
Hiii.
I don't know if you remember me.. (JFerreira9) from the PAL webmd board...but i've followed your blog frequently, so I've also made one. I'd love for you to add me.
Also, Kira is soooo adorable. How was being on the Yellow team?
I remember 2mo shots, I had to leave the room because I'd cry if I saw her get poked. It gets better, next week is Adriana's 4mo shots...I'll be leaving the room for those too! :)
do you know that you are TOTALLY my hero? If I ever am a mom I want to be you.
I know! It's so hard watching them get shots and not being able to do much in those few seconds.
She is growing great! I thought Braden weighed in awesome at 10 lbs 3 oz at 2 months, she blew that away! The shots are so hard, hopefully she deals with them well. We had some serious red swelling but a cold washcloth and tylenol took care of that.
I am not glad that Kira has a flat spot, but I feel so much better now because Braden has one too! He refuses to turn his head to the left when he lays down. Dr. told to just strengthen his neck and try to put toys over there. He could care less about the toys and hates tummy time, oh well! Our babies will have nice round heads again someday.
If you want to take her on the boat, put the sunscreen on her. If she seems hungry soon after eating a bottle, add a little rice. When Chick was little I had one doctor tell me to add cereal to the bottle, the next visit another said not to, on and on. Same with things like sunscreen, baby lotion, bathing, you name it. Trust your gut and Kira. You're not going to hurt your baby. And she will tell you in her own way what she needs. I feel as a society we have been taught to ignore our instincts and only listen to the professionals.
Ok, falling off my soapbox now! I can't wait to meet your little beauty! Hugs to you all!!
By all means, listen to what your doctor says and then use your own common sense to ignore it. You'll find parenting will go much more smoothly that way. Just consider that the latest research is now saying the more foods you introduce your baby to the sooner the better for not getting allergies. I mean, last year we were being told to not give our babies citrus fruits, dairy, eggs, wheat, (God forbid peanuts) till some magical age to prevent allergies. The advice is always changing. And, don't gasp but I slept my second child on his stomach starting at 2 weeks because he/our house had none of the risk factors for SIDS and I wanted him to actually sleep somewhere other than on me. Want to know about any other doctor's rules I broke (like starting my son on solids at 3 months - he was born at 10 lbs 10oz - he was hungry)???
Sounds like you may have a fiesty little girl to look forward to. My daughter always got the loudest screamer of the month award when she got shots and her dramatic personality has not changed one bit. At four, she still dramatically refuses to wear band aids - just walks around the house leaving a blood trail.
Good luck on the job search - sounds stressful. I've been a sahm since my kids were born and have no idea how working moms handle the kid challenges combined with work stress.
Hey I hate to disagree with your doc...since I don't have my MD or anything. But mine says sunscreen is fine before then.
Sorry to read about your day at the doctors. I've been there and it was the first time I realized how helpless being a parent can be. The good news is you can always hold them when they cry to make them feel better. That never gets old.
(fyi - the no food until 6 months thing - you will be happy you waited. believe me. don't push it.)
Post a Comment