December 12, 2010

Tragedies put life into perspective....

Over the past several days I have encountered mountains of tragedy. None of which were directly related to me. Yet all that hit home and really put things into perspective.

To start the week off there there was a terrible accident in the eastern side of the state. It was an afternoon, after school accident. 5 teens in a car, 4 boys and a girl. Lost control on a corner and hit a tree. 4 died and 1 remains in a medical induced coma. The boy driving had a learner's permit...so sad 5 young kids had their youth cut so short. If the 5th boy lives, he will never be the same....never

Mid way through the week Baby Mason took a turn for the worse and was raced into the hospital, then flown to another, and is now recovering from an emergency surgery ti his tiny little baby heart.

And then today. The one that is sticking with me. The one I can't get out of my mind. Today, on our drive to my family's xmas get together, the roads were a wreck, covered in water due to the heavy rains and winds we are getting. As we were driving along the highway, I suddenly saw a car driving in reverse and slam into the woods. The car then flipped side over side at least three times. I slowed as quickly as a I could without hitting the brakes and trying to stay behind her until her car came to a stop. AS soon as I was able to I pulled off the road, T called 911 and I raced to her car. She was alert, scared, blood pouring from her nose. She was trying to stop it. I asked her her name, told her that 911 was on the way. Asked if she felt ok, anything really hurting? Then a woman came up, advised she was a nurse and that I should get back to my baby in car and leave instead of sitting on the side with a baby in the car. So I left.

As I drove away, all I could imagine, as I relived the vision of her car flipping and flipping and flipping, was what if that happened to us instead? What if that happened with my precious baby in my car.

5 comments:

kate said...

what a scary, scary thing. & it was definetly a good idea that you guys left once that nurse arrived 9just in case you were feeling guilty). N says more cars get hit while on the side waiting for help... it's a super dangerous place to be. every snowy day (like today) i worry about him working the roads & am so glad when i see him safe home, just like i'm glad to hear that you guys & baby K made it home!

iiri said...

Wow, how scary!

Carrie Ann said...

Glad you guys and Baby K made it there and back safely! I'd be freaked out too! Very nice of you guys to come to the lady's aid. But yeah, you're better off leaving if the lady was a nurse - your car could've been hit with Baby K in it. I'd be freaked for a while too though. Hope that woman is okay!

Danifred said...

So very scary. It is those moments that truly remind us how much we have to be grateful for. I hope she's okay.

Anonymous said...

I would have been shaking like a leaf! It definitely puts stuff into perspective when horrible things like this happen. :-( Makes you appreciate life and your family and their health, so much more!