I've never hidden the fact on here that I am generally unhappy in my work situation. Not so much my job in itself, but the environment in which I work, the commute, and the politics I am forced to play as a management figure.
I have been awaiting the next round of outsourcing for months. First we were supposed to hear an announcement by Aug, then Sept, then Nov, now it is TBD. No date in sight. Which to me only means that the bomb could drop at any given second.
I do feel that I am in a position to be retained in my current organization. I am highly regarded among most of my peers, staff and leadership team. Which is great seeing as though the job I held for 18 months up until a year ago I was chased out of because they thought I was such a piece of $*&%. The issue is that I don't think I want to stay there. If I am retained I do not get to pick my career path. They can place me in any role they want to, and I have to either suck it up and take it or leave (with no severance package).
I have been actively networking internally with the hopes to find something in our home office (25 minute commute!!). A few weeks ago I was at a meeting where I approached one of our VP's, I spun it that I was looking for her insight on what I could do differently to
move across the silos" of our company (always make the higher ups feel smarter and more powerful if you want to get something done...) I mentioned to her that I had applied for a role in October that I really felt was a great match for me, that excited me. As it turned out, she is directly responsible for that department (I honestly had no idea - but score for me!). Within 2 business days I had an HR screening. When I returned to work today after being out since before Christmas I had a calendar invite for an interview with the hiring manager (who BTW looks 10) on 1/11/11 (lucky??)
When I came back this morning I also had 2 voice mails from 2 different managers in another area letting me know about an opening that is going to be posted next week and that I am a top contender if I am interested.....
Then the topper was that when I checked my personal email today I had an email from a consulting company I interviewed with in 2009 (while I was on maternity leave). A consulting company that I know several people that have or do work there and LOVE it. I was never interested in consulting, however this company is different, they actually hire you on full time and place you out as a contractor, but you are a FT employee of their firm. Anyway, one of the owners emailed me because of a role they are trying to fill fits my background. He asked me to give him a call....
3 new prospects all on the horizon in 1 day....I sure do hope that 2010 ends off spectacular and continues in that fashion into 2011.
4 comments:
that is SUPER awesome. Stay in control of your destiny, I agree that you are doing the smartest thing by looking and not being a victim. Now if we were close to retirement age or seeking to completely change career paths, that would be another story. :) My fingers and toes will be crossed (but not my legs lol)
Congratulations! I hope all of them pan out and you get to choose the best option for you!!
That is such fantastic news! Horray for you, horray for options. I can't wait to hear how it all works out (which I'm certain will be great).
Great news!
Post a Comment