September 19, 2010

Sleep Patterns...

Little K has been a great sleeper since the day she was born (give or take a dozen events). Since 8 weeks old she has slept 12-14 hours straight a night AND multiple naps. Somewhere in her 1st year she got into a rhythm of 2 naps at 2 hours a piece. Then around 14 months she begin eliminating her morning nap and only napping in the afternoon, still only for 2 hours. This was short lived and turned into 1 nap, mid day, and at least 3 hours long.

Fast forward (or rewind?) to around 3 or 4 weeks ago (18.5 mos) when she has decided that napping is for the birds and she would much rather stay up and be a whiny, miserable, demon child for her last 3 hours of the day.....T feels that it is not fair that she does not want to nap any more. That he NEEDS that break. I agree. The days I am home with her, I also NEED a break. But the difference is that I put up in her crib as though she is going to take a nap and leave her up there for a good hour to hour and half (longer if she actually falls asleep). He does not. He will attempt to put her down, but if she doesn't go down in about half an hour he brings her back down stairs.

So I have a couple of questions for you Mom's.....
  • Have any of your kids ever dropped their naps this early (she is now 19.5 months)
  • Do you still have a rest time?
  • Does your rest time take place in the crib?
  • How long is acceptable to leave your child in their crib if they are not sleeping (nor are they crying)
  • Is there any chance she will pick naps back up in future months?

4 comments:

iiri said...

I wold still do a 'rest time' at the least, and I would put her in a safe place, whether that be her crib, her room, etc....

She -might- decide that she wants naps again, so if you still have an established time to rest (sleep or quiet play) she'd probably go down then.

I know a couple people who's kids (a little older, so not sure how this would work for you) watch a couple favorite TV shows or a movie, as their quiet time.... So The kids know when 'rest time' is over...just a thought, I know not all parents like TV, and that's fine too!

Good luck!

Melis.sa said...

My daughter kept her one nap routine past the age of 2 but then she wouldn't fall asleep until 9:30 or 10 and my dh and I needed some alone adult time so I gradually stopped her naps. The witching hour is from about 3-4 p.m. but it's nice to have her in bed at a decent time.

kate said...

my boys still take the one big nap midday (em still naps whenever she darn well feels like it) but they have occasional days where one or the other refuses to nap & we do enforced quiet time in that case. meaning in their cribs, lights out, & they stay put for 2 hrs. (obviously if some one is crying or something i go in, but otherwise they're on their own.) they have stuffed toys in their cribs & will almost always play quietly, talk to eachother, or eventually fall asleep. i just think they're still too young to forego a rest time every day. not to mention mom NEEDS the break too. so that's my 2 cents. good luck finding rest time that works for you guys!

Danifred said...

Both my girls still nap and Tot is 4 1/2. We've gone through stages where they tried to give up naps, but it never lasted. When they did refuse naps, we insisted on an hour of rest time, in their crib. Neither of them ever cried about it, and eventually, they fell asleep anyway.
I recommend Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child to everyone- it's a great resource and I STILL use it when Tot throws us for a loop.