September 25, 2010

I need some friends....

I really need some friends. Some friends with little kids. Like ages 1-4. Little K has NO friends :( Other than her Dad, me and Granny she does not play with anyone.

I started looking around for a "weekend playgroup" or "Dad's playgroup" and found lots of playgroups that said they catered to weekends and that dad's were welcome, but when I joined them they had no meet ups planned on weekends and all the daytime activities were things that T would never do on his own.

So I decided to create my own playgroup! I formed a group on Meetup.com I am immediately scheduled 3 meetups for the upcoming weekends. I am hopeful that people will join our group and actually come to our meetups!

Initially they will all be in public locations, but if I get a small group formed I may be open to having a couple gatherings here at my house.

Have any of you ever belonged to a playgroup? Did you/your child find benefit in the socialization? Or did you find it to be more of a hassle?

Fingers crossed we get some friends out of this!

6 comments:

Melis.sa said...

Good luck!! I hope other people join too!

I was never brave enough to do something like that. I'd just take E to lots of playgrounds until it was too cold out. Then she'd be stuck with mom and dad :)

Melis.sa said...

ooh, also, does your city have recreational activities at the high schools for little kids? Ours does here, so my DH takes E on the weekends. Or there's always classes like gymnastics or things like that?

Carrie Ann said...

When Ricky was about 16 months old, we enrolled him in the Moms, Pops, and Tots class at the park district. Met lots of other parents and kids. It was great. You get to meet others in your neighborhood who have kids the same age. Good luck with the meet up - I wish we lived in the same city! My little one is around Baby K's age!!

Danifred said...

Sadly, I suck at the playgroup stuff. While I desperately want friends who have small children like we do, I can't feign interest in talking with strangers while our children play. I know it sounds terrible, but it's just not my thing. I'm a very social person, but something happens to my motivation once the word 'playgroup' is uttered.
I hope you find tons of wonderful people and have a great time. I can't wait to hear all about it!

kate said...

maybe i'm in the minority here, but i just don't think it's a big deal for kids to have friends until they're preschool age-ish. i think socializing is a good thing (we take the guys to toddler story time/play time at the local library & they do see cousins & the neighbors' kids) but if they just want to play solo, it's still totally age-appropriate for a toddler. i kinda think they figure out how to play with other kiddos when they're ready for it. that said, i hope you get some hits for your playgroup! after seeing the boys with other kids, i think it is good to at least have the munchkin in the vicinity of other kids, even if she's not ready to play with them yet. the guys & i would totally join you if we weren't far, far away! :) good luck!

Cheysu said...

Abby went to daycare twice a week when she was little (and met her lifelong friend, Walker, there)but other than that it was parks, playgrounds, swim class.. but a lot of just me. after kid # 2 I say: My two cents is that friends ARE important. Socialization is important, even if its a hassle. Let your kids choose the friends tho and you go along. Cuz it isn't about you. That philosophy led to a great friendship of mine. (Walker's mom) :)
Evie has no problem because of all her big sis's friends and siblings, but I still worry about too much mommy time. Of course, starting Monday, I'm back to work and its a moot point!