September 11, 2010

Deviated and frumpy....

What a weird week I have had....It started off with a Holiday (aka free day off of work), declined quickly into a bad cold, plummeted into a sick child and a sick (my last) day from work, begin looking up when my Mom got here, and I was able to return to work. And then took a digger when Mom woke up feeling kinda crappy.

We have all trudged along and made the most of the days even with feeling under the weather.

At work on Thursday one of the Indian girls I work with commented to another Indian girl how in the years since she has known me I went from trim and fit to frumpy and back in forth numerous times....Frumpy....she said this in front of me...Frumpy...really? Granted I know over the years my weight has fluctuated a bit, but frumpy? To me that implies that my clothes, hair and body were all a mess. No matter what size I have been (and I've not been over a 12 in this time period!) my clothes and hair were always in good shape. Frumpy.....

Yesterday I went to the Ear Nose and Throat Dr about my allergies and changing up my meds. While there she stated that we should look at "fixing my nose". Now mind you, if I had to chose 1 item on my entire body to change it would be my nose. I loathe it. It is big, it is long, it is bumpy, it is a bit crooked. Well now the crookedness is explained. I have a Deviated Septum. I will not be "getting it fixed". Do you know what they do for deviated septum? Screw that. If I am going to be in that much pain, I am getting a new nose altogether. This particular Dr. I really like her, but she is always finding things about me that she wants to cut. Like the fact that I have a double Uvula. She is obsessed with wanting to cut it and make it a single. I have always had a double uvula, at least to my knowledge. It doesn't bother me, so why would I cut it?

8 comments:

Sara said...

Frumpy? Really? I would not have tagged you as frumpy and I don't even "know" you.

As for the deviated septum, it isn't so bad. I have had sinus surgery three times and it is has helped each time. I can't imagine what I would be like without the surgeries. Just something to think about...

Take care!

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kate said...

frumpy? what a wench! you aren't frumpy, by a long shot.

as for the deviated septum... um, ow. maybe get a second opinion on that one? hope your weekend is better than your week!

Carrie Ann said...

Frumpy? Very rude! You mentioned she was Indian (I'm Philippine) and in many asian cultures, it is common for people to be up-front (rude) and tease people about their weight and looks. It is considered rude in the US, but in these cultures, it is considered okay and fair game. My relatives would always make comments about me being messy, chubby, fat, and laugh about it but I know they mean every word. It's annoying, I know. Avoid this person and maybe she'll get the hint!

Hubby has a deviated septum too that require surgery that we have put off for years. Meanwhile he can't breathe well..... hope everyone in your house feels better soon!!

Melis.sa said...

Pretty sure I would've wanted to punch any and all of these people in the face.

The Captain's Wife said...

@Carrie Ann - I know exactly what you mean by the "culture" differences between Asian and American. The girl meant absolutely no harm by what she said, she later went on to tell me that in her years here on our account she and the other girls feel I am the most beautiful woman they have encountered..(pulease!). I love this girl to pieces, she is like my baby. I brought her up from right out of college to now a ready to be married woman.

It was just a comment that made me really think about my appearance over the years and question if I really was frumpy...

Frogs in my formula said...

Frumpy is just downright rude. I would have smacked her.

If your double uvula ain't broken, don't fix it. She sounds OCD.

Carrie Ann said...

That's very sweet. Sounds like you have a close friend who treats you like a sister. I thought she would be older though - because usually it's the older ones who do it - I was surprised she's young! Anyway, she felt close enough to you to say it - even though it still was sucky to hear. I'm sure you're beautiful because Baby K sure is!!!