April 3, 2011

The ABC's of bikes, dolls, pools and IPADs


Because I have not updated on her in a while, this post is dedicated completely to K.


  • Her language is getting better every day. She adds new words, phrases, and sounds to her library on a regular basis. She often surprises us with comes out of that little brain!

  • She can say and identify all her letters, she can identify at least 6 shapes and can name a few, she knows she is two, she can count to 10 (with us assisting her). She knows tons of animals and sounds.

  • She still does not say her own name though. If you ask her what her name is, she says "Kitty Cat".

  • If you did not spend every day with her, you'd likely have no idea what she is trying to say to you. Heck even my MIL, who sees her a couple times a week, isn't always sure what she is saying or asking for. But T and I are pretty good at deciphering her language.

  • She is really into pretend play. Playing with her dolls and doll house as well as her teapot. She very much enjoys a tea party with cakes and "rosey tea".

  • Her latest obsessions: The Wiggles (godhelpmethisshowishorrible), the IPAD, bubbles, the crawl tube that goes to her tent, the IPAD and the Wiggles.

  • She is still napping once a day, and it is (don't hate me) generally 3+ hours straight. Since DST she has been staying up a bit later (@8-8:30) as well as sleeping later (till at lease 8:30!). On weekends she (and I) have been sleeping in until around 9!

  • K has entered the defiant, testing phase of her toddlerhood. She knows she should not do something, such as color on the table, and will hold the crayon on the table and look at you until you look back, and then she starts to color on the table! Such a shit. I have put her in a "time out" on a spare chair in the dining room twice. Not enough times yet for it to have any meaning for her.

  • I had to provide T with some "constructive criticism" last week about his discipline technique. He would tell her..."stop doing that or I am going to throw it in the garbage" "clean up your toys or I will throw them away". I explained that we are not throwing anything away, giving it away, destroying, etc and she will figure that out and his "threats" will be empty and mean nothing to her. He took the feedback well :)

  • I have been taking K swimming on Sundays at an indoor pool a couple towns over. She is now capable of swimming with her life jacket on or her swimmies! The last time we went (2 weeks ago) she spent almost the whole hour swimming with out me holding onto her. I can't wait until summer. I hope to be able to take some time off for beach and pool outings.

  • She is showing no interest in potty training. She goes in her diaper and will tell you when she is ready to be changed or if you ask her if she needs to be will say yes, but when we try to get her to go on the potty, she says no. She does sit on the potty a few times a week, but never goes. I am not pressing the issue. We will just keep talking about it. (in the mean time I am using the amazon diaper delivery with super saver shipping - check it out! GREAT prices, free shipping, delivered on a schedule you set!)

  • Many of my friends with kids her age are already putting their kids in big girl beds. I hope to keep her in her crib until she is 23. No really though, she has never attempted to climb out, she enjoys being in there. She even plays in there if we need to shower, or before and after her naps.

  • She very much enjoys her bedtime routine. She still likes to drink milk and have a story (or 5) while being rocked by Mommy or Daddy. She does not however like to cuddle after we turn the lights out. This makes me so sad because in the mornings when she gets up she is super cuddly for an hour or so and I miss out on that 4 days a week. So nighttime was my only cuddle opportunity and now she just wants "bed".



  • She has been requesting specific songs at bedtime too. "Tinkle tinkle", "B,C,D,E", and "Ants" (twinkle twinkle, abc's, and the ants go marching)

  • Do all 2 year olds have major ADD? Seriously, she pulls out toys and plays with them for 3 mins, then thinks of something else that she wants to grab and the next thing you know she forgot all about what she was doing and is onto a new focus. PIA for cleaning up the family room!

  • She LOVES going over to her friends, P and Z house to play. She wakes up in the morning and asks to "ride in car, to Pheephee and Zaners house? Pway toys, books?" Every single day....I have been trying to get her over there at least once a week. She just loves to play with other kids so much.

I guess that pretty much sums it up for her as of right now. She is constantly moving, going, running. She is the sweetest, cutest, goofiest kid around. Love her so much~

5 comments:

Carrie27 said...

Yep, they rarely have an attention span longer than 5 minutes.

I despise the Wiggles, just too creepy for me.

Her sneaky behavior sounds a lot like my K.

Melis.sa said...

E did basically everything listed on there. We put her in her big girl bed because one of her cousins attempted climbing out of his crib and broke his arm (he's 4 months younger) so after that we decided to switch.

Time out didn't really work on the first few attempts with E either. Once she realized she was naughty it became a great tool though :)

Danifred said...

You have a "kitty cat" and I have a "hippo" Silly girls.

Rebecca said...

Great post! I love that your husband took the constructive criticism well...you never know. I have never introduced those damn Wiggles into my house and I hope I never do!

The Crazies aren't in big beds yet...I most people tell me that if they're not climbing out, to stay the course...we're not really any closer to potty training either...that kind of frustrates me.

Michelle said...

Awesome update! But, what??? She can ID her letters? WOWZERS! Go little K!

I hear ya on the big girl bed. I was sooo not ready to move our K in hers, but we needed the crib, badly! But, she wasn't climbing out either and I was so worried I was ruining a good thing. Thank goodness it went well!

Oh and the toy thing...OMG! We have toys EVERYWHERE because our big thing is taking a bin of toys and just dumping them to find that one toy she wants for 2 seconds! ARG!