June 10, 2011

Friday Night Leftovers....


 
Swing by Sippy Cups are not for Starbucks to see what other folks are serving up this Friday night~

  • You know those COEXIST bumper stickers you see on cars?  Well I am embarrassed to admit it, but for years I thought they said Geologist!  Swear to god.  It was not until I was behind a car at a stop light once that I actually read what it said and was like DUH!  I made the mistake of telling this to T shortly after and now EVERYTIME we see one together he says "oh yeah look, they must be a geologist"  Dick!
  • We had our first official Heat wave this week.  It was AWESOME.  I will make no secret of the fact that I love the heat.  It is so cold here most of the year so the couple of months we get of Hot weather I savour.
  • What got me is how wussy we are raising our children.  They closed down schools here because it was too hot?  Seriously?  At the risk of sounding ancient, when I was in school I remember super hot days, wearing shorts and tanks, sitting in classes with the windows open, fans blowing and the lights turned out.  The school systems these days are ridiculous.  They cancel school if it is too cold, because god forbid the kids stand out for the bus and wear weather appropriate clothing.  No instead they should cancel the day, prolonging the school year, and then cancel later in the year anyway cause it is too hot.  WTF?
  • Our big vacation to the Cape is in 20 days!  I am so excited, but I am trying to figure out what to do about K's sleeping arrangement.  She is still in a crib, and I really don't want to convert her to the toddler bed yet.  The house we are renting has no crib and she is way to big for a week of pack-n-ply sleeping.  So do I go out and buy bed rails for a 1 time vacation?  Do we try sleeping her on a mattress on her floor for a couple weeks before we go?  Do we just sleep her on the mattress on the floor when we get there?  Someone who has been through this please share your thoughts.  One thing I will make clear that is NOT an option is her sharing a bed with us.  She has never slept in our bed and I have no intention of starting that at this age.
  • I ordered and Iphone 4.  It arrived Wednesday and I set it up/activated it only to find that on Thursday I was unable to send or receive and calls.  Hmmm kind of defeats the purpose of a phone right?  I swung by AT&T on my way home and found that they were deeming my phone DOA.  No problem right?  They just exchange it right?  WRONG.  You see I was trying to be good to mother nature and reuse/recycle so I bought a refurbished phone.  So now I have to go to the APPLE store to exchange.  The apple store that is 45 mins away.  Great.
  • We had a pretty major announcement at work this week.  A major project that has been in the works for nearly a decade was canceled.  Additionally they plan to move forward with our sourcing initiative.  We were advised that by the end of this month every single employee will know their "disposition".  Super.  While we have known the sourcing was coming for a long time, having time lines around it makes it so much more real.  And no one really expected the cancelling of the major project.  We all felt like it should have been done a long time ago, so the timing is what shocked us the most.  Anyway, I guess I will know right before I go on vacation whether or not I have a job.
  • We have officially begun car shopping.  Today T and I left K with her GiGi and went off to test drive a couple cars.  We drove the Hyundai Sante Fe and Tuscon as well as the Honda CRV.  We ruled out the Tuscon and am beginning to rule out the Sante Fe.  Loved the CRV but they did not have any of the colors I wanted in the EX model, so I need to keep looking.  For $400 a month payment I am not willing to settle for anything less than what I want.  We still need to go look/drive the Nissan Rogue, Subaru Forrester, and Mazda CX-7.
  • I am a nail biter.  Always have been.  I went through a period of time several years ago where I managed to stop, grow my nails nicely and get them strong.  But then I started to bite them again.  It is such a disgusting (and filthy) habit.  I have trying really hard to not bite lately.  If I catch myself I remind myself how dirty and gross it is.  I had a manicure done last week.  Having them painted helps keep me from biting.  Of course all the stress of potentially losing my job does not help.

So yeah, that was my leftovers!  Enjoy your weekend, busy one for me so I may not get back on until Sunday night~

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG that's EXACTLY what I said to my mother. That hte school system is gonna turn all the kids into total wussies (well "wussies" wasn't the word i used). WTF??? On the REEEEEEALLY miserable days of summer, I remember the teachers telling us to lay our heads down on our desk for a little break (while they had the lights off) and now they are SENDING THEM HOME?? IT's freakin' ridiculous! wait till these kids start working and realize "Holy shit, I still have to work when it's hot/humid or snowing?" Ugh.

I'm SO JEALOUS OF YOUR VACATION COMING UP!!! I want to go to the Cape so bad.

Sara said...

I just wanted to share that I love my Santa Fe. We have a 2009 and it has been a great SUV so far. Plenty of room, and easy to drive.

Good luck finding a car that fits your needs. I agree - if you are going to pay that much money you need to love your car!!

kate said...

i'm in love with my town & country, but i'm guessing a mini-van is pry a bit much for you guys :) hpoe you find what you want!

& we're facing the traveling crib dilemma with the guys this summer too, so i'll be watching to see what youa ll end up with! (sorry, no words of wisdom!)

Melissa said...

We faced the crib / pack and play dilemma this week. I am visiting my sister in San Antonio and brought the pnp, well he is way too big for that. What we did was my sister had a gate like thing she got at toys r us and I put an egg crate down, folded in half and put a comforter on top of that. He is sleeping better now.

Danifred said...

Tot actually ended up in a toddler bed EXACTLY for the reason you are talking about. We were going on a number of vacations, she was too big for her pack and play and we didn't want her sleeping with us. So, early in the summer, we introduced the toddler bed and by the time vacation came, she was ready to sleep on a mattress on the floor.

Rebecca said...

This FNL is PACKED!!!

That sucks about the job situation...I'd be so annoyed.

We use those little pop-tents for the Crazies when we go away...easy to travel with and they sleep in them. Downside, a bit expensive if you're only using it once.

They can bring in the color CRV you want if it's somewhat nearby...they can call other dealerships.

That sucks about your phone...what a buildup only to be let down!

Carrie27 said...

Couple solutions for sleeping: When A got too big and we had the twins in pack and plays we bought a twin blowup mattress with a sleeping bag attached. Folds down small and she loves it. Or just a sleeping bag, or put the mattress on the floor.

Fingers crossed you still have your job.

Have fun car shopping!