August 21, 2008

Pregnant conversations...

My blog land friend Nancy just posted a great post about weight gain during pregnancy. I encourage you to read it.

Because of her excellent capture of the subject, I am just going to touch base on the conversations people have with pregnant women.....

Here are the top 10 questions I have been asked by almost EVERY person that learns about my pregnancy:

How far along are you?
When are you do?
Have you been sick?
Do you know what you are having?
Will you find out what you are having?
Do you have a preference of what you have?
What names are you thinking about?
How much weight have you gained?
Can you feel it moving yet?
Are you craving anything?

I think I am going to type up these questions along with the answers and make a hundred copies, so as I meet people I can just hand them out and save the breath.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some people have the oddest and almost uncalled for conversations with pregnant women.

On Tuesday a co-worker approched me to congratulate me on my pregnancy. I thanked her and began to move along when she then preceded to tell me about her pregnancies....(note to all **if you have bad pregnancy stories DO NOT share them with first time preggos!)

She went on to tell me she has 2 children, a Son and a Daughter. That she had 6 misscarriages before her son and 3 more after wards. That out of the 9 MC a couple of them were beyond 20 weeks and up to 31 weeks. (Now right there - knowing I am 16 weeks WHY would you tell me this?)
She then explained that she had genetic issues that caused her to have problems carrying boys to term and required a lot of assistance from the doctors to keep her son in her for at least 35 weeks.
The next topic was weight gain, she gained 110 lbs with each pregnancy. Now mind you, this woman is not thin. She is not super big either, but is definitely over weight (as most of us are) and she gained over 100 lbs with each!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another co-worker, who works in another office, swung by my office this week and made it a point to come by to see me.....Great for me! She had to tell me about her episiotomy (sp?) with her 1st baby and then the major tear she had with the 2nd and how her "lady parts" were just never the same.

Oh Joy!

5 comments:

nancy said...

All I can say is, you'll get used to it. Everything you mentioned will continue to happen no matter how much you complain. ~shrug~. When I hear a horror story, my response is "I'm so sorry for that situation, but I would rather not hear stories like that right now." and it stops.

Unknown said...

Just wait until the touching begins...I have never figured out why complete strangers see a pregger belly and HAVE to touch it. In the grocery store, in Wal-Mart...heck I was working at Moodus Savings when I was pregnant with Steven and I had people reach over the bank counter!! As he would say now..."You're in my personal bubble"

Anonymous said...

What about random co-worker's inability to keep from dropping their eyes to your stomach? Wait... oh sh*t, that was me! Smacking self in the forehead repeatedly!! Btw, you look absolutely fantastic, and now the stare is just wondering if the kid is ever going to shift a little so you can have some relief.

The horror stories are just plain mean, and you don't have to listen to them. Have fun with the busybodies, and try to come up with responses that leave them perplexed and keep you amused. You're preggers - you can get away with almost anything and people will excuse it as hormones - might as well get a laugh out of it - and then post, so we can giggle right along with you :)

Anonymous said...

I admit I have asked a couple of those questions to friends (usually "when are you due") but it's really only becuz I'm EXCITED FOR THEM and really want to know that info.

But your coworkers? That's so not ocol! COMMON SENSE, people! They must have missed that class!

Chele76 said...

I think it seriously messed up for people to ask the inappropriate questions and to share the stories that you REALLY don't need to hear. People REALLY sometimes lack common sense.