July 9, 2011

Here, that's all, nothing more.....

We are home from vacation. The week was, well, eye opening. For reasons I really can't go into.

Our rental house was nice,had everything we could need for the week. We were 2 minute walk from the bay. K and I went to the beach every single day. I did good keeping her cast dry for the first 3 days, then I lost my bag wrapping mojo and she got it wet every time we went near water.

During this week K was a total 2 year old. Defiant, line crossing, un-cooperative. I became so frustrated after repeating myself time over time and I spanked her. It does not make me proud. It was really just a whap on her bum (with the diaper on) and caused her no pain, but did cause her to know I was angry. After we both calmed down I apologized and try to explain/reason with her. It is impossible to reason with a 2 year old. Her fresh behavior has continued now that we are home. This morning I threatened that we would not go to a local parade and carnival if she would not listen to me and when she wouldn't I followed through and left her home with T (granted I did not go to the parade either, instead I went grocery shopping) sobbing on the floor. SO HARD to walk away when she is like that, but I needed to. I keep trying to tell myself that she has had a rough couple of weeks (falling, ER, xrays, cast, 5 hr drive, almost no TV, strange bed, wearing bags on her arm, getting a summer cold while away) but I still lose my patience.

Spending this week with two toddlers, one that cries ALL the time and the other (mine) that was as fresh as fresh can be, he's made me seriously have second thoughts on baby #2. I am not sure I could handle another. I get so frustrated with 1, how would I handle 2?

Since getting home I have felt kind of down. Not sure if it is because I did not thoroughly enjoy my vacation, because I am lacking sleep (K was up daily by 6am),or because I am PMS'ing. I need a me day. I go back to work on Thursday and my MIL will be away all week, so hopefully T is up for a Daddy and girl day.

Blah, anyway. Any words of wisdom/advice for getting a 2 year old to do as they are told? How about potty training tips? I just can't do the naked time routine (too much carpet in my house) and have offered lollipop pops and m&m's and only got pee on the potty once.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We do the spank on the bum here when Hunter is being REALLY bad. It's the only thing that gets through to him when he's past a certain naughty point. And you've obviously seen him in action (although I think the KidCity trip was more about being tired AND overstimulated while tired. Next time we go, he's getting a good nap beforehand! LOL). I'm gonna read your comments though to see what people suggest to reason with a 2 year old cuz I'm curious too! LOL

I'm sorry your vacation wasn't SUPER but at least you were off work and at the beach, right?

Carrie27 said...

As far as getting K to listen, I would give it a few more days. Vacationing is rough for everyone and if she was around another toddler, she has been influenced to act a certain way. Time outs and simply walking away when they have their fits. When they are done having their fit or time out talk to her to see if she can explain what she was doing that was wrong.

Potty training - wait until she is ready. I have gotten all three trained in a week to two weeks. We plan potty training when we know we can stay home for a week to two weeks straight. Besides m&ms for success, I have had a sticker chart for them to add a sticker to help remind them of their progress.

Michelle said...

2 year olds.....oy! I just pulled a similar thing as you this morning when you were talking about her not going to the carnival. We had lit.tle.gym class this morning and I told her she had to potty before we left...we missed it!

Speaking of potty training...I think my K was ready and it's still HARD! My 2 that I've now potty trained I waited until they were showing signs (as in, asking to go potty and understanding how and waking up dry after nap (meaning they were able to hold it), just to name a few). So for us, the biggest learning curve only took a few days.

When we first started this time it was an outside in panties thing. Panties allowed her that "wet" feeling, outside allowed the lack of mess for mama, and no pants so we could catch her in action asap! I liked the method for us. But it worked quickly mostly because they knew the feeling of needing to go and how to go before making the switch. Then, we finally figured out the correct motivation...for her, it's fruit snacks!!

kate said...

no advice on potty training, the dudes have ZERO interest. sigh.
& my guys went insane after coming home from vacation too... it's like it's just too much for their toddler brains to cope with. i dont know if you dig time outs, but they work for us, so here's our discipline routine: 1 warning-- "if you do X again, you go in time out", then a 2 minute time out, in a "time out chair" in a quiet corner for 2 minutes, until the timer goes off. if they get up from the chair, it starts over. & when their time is up, i spend a minute explaing "we don't hit, hitting (or whatever) is not ok" & make them say sorry & give whoever the victim was a hug. i've actually spent close to an hour getting conrad to stay in the chair, but now that they know what's coming, it (usually) works like a charm. you just have to be really consistent & be ready for some major toddler attitude while they figure out their time-out limits. i think it gives them (& me) a few minutes to decompress bc they always come out with a vastly iomproved attitude. good luck!!! hope you guys figure out something that works for you & kira!

Carrie Ann said...

Hey there! Been off for a few months and went to see how you are doing - only to see that Baby K has a cast!!! Poor little thing and poor you!

Teddy is still not talking (up to 4 words) so we're not even close to toilet training. But good luck!!

Ricky is 6 and Teddy is 2 and it is really rough. But it's just temporary. They grow up. At least that's what I tell myself on the difficult days! We are in the terrible 2's also. Lots of tantrums - so nice!

Missed your blog - I've got lots of catching up to do. Hope you are well otherwise.