Have you tried out the "Self Scan" registers at your big chain markets? I do it on occasion, like when I have no coupons, and like 4 items, and am paying with a credit card. Otherwise I go through the normal line. Well today I thought I would try to newest thing my big chain grocery has....scan your own groceries.
When you walk in you get a hand scanner (kind of like when you register for your wedding or baby) and as you shop you scan the items and bag them as you go. When you are completed with your shopping you go to the self checkout, scan your coupons and pay your bill. Sounds easy right? WRONG!
The shopping part was super easy. The self bagging was super easy. What was not easy was EVERYTHING else! The self checkout was so slow. It took me literally 7 minutes to scan my coupons (and then I had 4 coupons that would not scan so I wound up needing to go to a regular cashier in the end!), you can not apply the .05 credit for each cloth bag you use, and you can't cash in your bottle deposits!
As I walked out of the store I began to wonder....why aren't they paying me?
4 comments:
I've never heard of that before. We have the self checkouts but not anything where you scan as you go. I would think they would have a lot of theft with something like that.
I really do have an issue with self-scan and self-checkout. The overhead costs of the store are factored into grocery prices... I'm already paying for the service of someone at the check-out and for someone to bag. If you want to take 10-15% off the overall price, sure, I'll scan it myself. Until that happens, I am waiting in line.
wow... we have the self check-out but not the fancy self-scan guns. & i'm 50-50 on which i use... most of our self check outs are the 12 items or less lanes, so they're pretty decent. i don't think i'd dig the gun tho... too much work!
Oh my..
How is a hand scanner even necessary?
I LOVE self service checkouts in general.. but thats coz i'm so impatient!
Post a Comment