May 21, 2012

Hi my name is Mrs. Captain and I shit during childbirth....

blog

Ahhhh yes. We had our baby. He did not wait for his induction day. He came 35 hours earlier. Oh where to begin.....

How about with the boring stuff and we'll work our way up to the juicy stuff!

Thursday 5/17
On Thursday after mowing and raking the 1.5 acres we have that are non woods, taking a hike around a local pond, and doing a few other errands/chores all of which resulted in ZERO contractions I decided that I was DONE trying. So Friday began as my relaxation day.

Friday 5/18
Took a ride to Starbucks, attempted a pedi (it
was prom day so I bailed on the wait), and hung out reading. Well wouldn't you know that I started to get contractions around 6pm. We took K to a local coffee house where T performed a few songs at the open mic and then headed home. From 6-9 they became about 7 mins apart. They stayed like this for a while so I headed to bed. I did manage to get a few hours sleep.

Saturday 5/19 6am
When I got up they were still there. T and I went out for breakfast, to the junk store, and then back home for some chores while K spent the day with my Mom and Sister.

1pm
My contractions finally got to be about 5 mins apart and were getting stronger (woot hoot)! I waited them out for a couple hours and called the Dr around 4. Afternupdating her, T and I headed towards the Hospital and stopped off for a light dinner along the way (knowing that I wouldn't be allowed to eat once admitted). We finally made our way to L&D around 6:15 ish.

6:15pm
When we arrived my contractions were 4-5 mins apart and rather painful. The nurse brought me into L&D triage and was able to determine I was only 2cm (close to 3) dilated, cervix was still very high, but soft. They had me on the NST monitor until around 7pm. Nurses said they would monitor me for an hour and if no progress would send me home. They unhooked me so I could walk around. T and I walked the hall for a few minutes and then I went to use the bathroom.....Now from here on out the timelines are a bit fuzzy....

7:30 pm
I left the triage room to use use the bathroom across the hall. During my bathroom break I had at least 3 contractions. While trying to walk back to the triage room I couldn't go more than 4 steps before having another. I yelled out to T and he came into the hall to help me.

The nurses saw me and came down to check me. I was still a 3 but cervix was getting lower. While they (3 of them) were in the triage room with me I had back to back contractions. Clearly I was not going home.

7:50pm
They offered me a wheel chair to my room but sitting was IMPOSSIBLE for me. The pain I got when trying to sit (or lay) was excrutiating. So I mustered up the courage and in the literally 30 second break I had between contractions I walked (ran) down the hall to my room.

8:00pm
Now in a room the nurse asked if I wanted and EPI. I said yes, but not at 3 cm. I wanted to be further progressed knowing it would slow things down. She checked me again at that moment and I was a 6! The pain was incredible. I could not get comfortable. I tried standing, sitting, kneeling, squating, laying....it all hurt so bad.

8:15 pm
My Dr. arrived in my room and immediately begin putting on scrubs. The room suddenly filled with techs, nurses, machines.....and now I was being told to go ahead and push if I felt the urge!

I need to take a break to explain how confused I was at this point. The last I knew I was 6 cm and requesting and EPI and all of a sudden I am being told to push! It felt like I was blacking out, losing pockets of time, something. But the reality is that things were happening so very fast that no one was able to communicate that I was already at a 10 and would NOT be getting any pain control.

8:25 pm
When questioned where my EPI was the Dr. advised that I wasn't goig to be able to have one and that I just needed to go ahead and push.

8:32 pm
I managed 4 really strong pushes and got him out! I expected him on my chest as soon as he was out but instead I watched as a very blue and limp baby was whisked across the room. I sent T to be with him but the Dr. stopped him. As it turned out he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck twice as well as merconium in the water (he also was pooping as he came out!). They quickly removed the cord and cleared his airways and the cries began. But for T and I, not knowing what was happening, it was an eternity of waiting!

We welcomed Silas Alan on 5/19 at 8:32pm (less than 2 hrs after they were to send me home) He was 10 days late and weighed in at a whopping 8lbs12oz 20.5 inches.

Along with all of the trauma that comes along with a super fast labor I managed to poop during delivery (yup I admit it), popped out a WICKED hemorroid (this bitch hurts more than the 3rd degree tears I had last time!), and had some of the umbilical cord blood splash into one of the Nurses eye while it was being cut. This resulted in me having to consent to a bunch of blood tests for her.

Both T and I defnately have some PTSD from this experience.

We came home Monday and are trying to adjust as a family of 4....

13 comments:

Michelle said...

Congratulations!!!!! He is absolutely adorable! And wowzers...he came fast!!!! I pushed longer than your entire labor!!!! Wow!!!! I hope you are settling into your new normal!! And I hope big sis enjoys her role! Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Despite it ALL, he is absolutely beautiful and adorable and squishy and I just want to kiss him!!! (and why wasn't that nurse wearing those silly-looking safety glasses if she was cutting the cord? My doctor cut Avery's and she had her glasses on. Yikes!)

Megan said...

Congratulations natural labor Mama! You did it! Awesome job! (By the way- so not your fault about the blood in the nurse's eye...she is supposed to have eye protection for a reason...). Beautiful baby. Nice job Mama. The threat of an induction did the trick.

To A T said...

He is so cute!!! Congrats mama!!

I totally shit myself when I pushed out brynna. And when it was happening I was all "oh shit... I just pooped all over the place!" and the nurse tried to tell me that t ment I was using the right muscles to push... Still didn't help me feel better ;)

Carrie27 said...

So glad you were able to skip the induction route. He's simply precious!

kate said...

He's sooooo cute! I love the hair & the grumper face:) I just want to smooch that little stinker! Sorry you guys had such a scare- Silas really knows how to make an entrance! Hope the transition to life as a family of four is relatively painless. Looking forward to lots more pics of those gorgeous kiddos!

JEN said...

Yay! Was wondering about you!!! He is gorgeous. Good job mama. I would totally poop on the table if it was a short labor like yours!

Elana Kahn said...

Yay congrats!!! Eh, everyone poops on the table regardless of how fast their labor is. I don't think I've been to one labor where the mom didn't poop. So no worries. :-)

Sara said...

Oh he is precious!! Congrats! And my oh my - what an entrance!

Melis.sa said...

ahh i missed this post!! Congratulations! He looks gorgeous!! HS that was a fast labor!

Carrie Ann said...

Congratulations!! He is absolutely beautiful and K couldn't be a prouder big sister. I am so happy for you and relieved that everything turned out okay. That must have been so scary those few moments waiting for his cries! Hope you are feeling better and getting some sleep!!!! :)

Just me said...

He is perfect.

Danifred said...

Holy crap. No pun intended. Well, sort of. You rock Mama! Seriously. And that boy is too stinkin' cute. Love to you both!