Basically that is how I feel right now, like telling the universe to stuff it!
I cannot tell you the amount of BS people are giving me because I chose to stay home tonight, Halloween, and hand out candy, instead of dragging my not yet 2 year old (who cannot say trick or treat nor does she eat candy) out into the cold night air. I have taken her to a ridiculous amount of pumpkin patches, to an all kids costume party, and to the local trick or trunk. She will not miss out on any life experiences by staying in the warm house, handing out candy to the kids and going to bed on time. Yet you would be amazed at the number of people giving me a hard time about this!
It doesn't really help that I am not a fan of Halloween to begin with. But when she is older I will certainly get into it and T is Super good at Halloween makeup, so I am sure we have many years of blood, guts and goblins in store for us.
I guess I feel about Halloween the same way I feel about Christmas and Birthdays. At this young age, when she does not grasp the holiday in it's entirety, I do not see the point in putting a ton of energy on it. We did not buy her any Christmas gifts last year, and will keep it very small this year. For her birthday we bought her 2 things and again, probably won't change much this year. As far as Halloween, Easter, Valentines days, etc....why would I bother for another couple of years? I mean really?
In these difficult financial times I am trying to think economically as well. I think about how I could go way overboard buying all sorts of stuff -OR- I could save that $30, $70, $150 and put it in our savings account so we can have a really special holiday when she is older and will really remember it....
Or maybe I am just cheap~
8 comments:
If I had a nearly two year old I would not be dragging them around trick or treating! There is no point!!
x
I agree with you! We took E last year but she only because she could say trick or treat and thank you. Otherwise, what's the point? Even today she was out for 45 minutes and home in time to help me pass out candy
I couldn't agree with you more, on all holidays that you mentioned actually. Glad I'm not the only one! We went to friends house tonight to get all the kids together in their costumes so I even got to avoid 1) buying candy and 2) getting stuck with leftovers. Score!
I had to drag my 21 month old (Teddy) around only because our 5 year old is totally into it. But Teddy didn't get it - he liked walking up with the other kids but then would try to enter people's houses, go in their backyards, etc. And yes, he doesn't eat candy. When Ricky was the same age, we stayed home like you did. There wasn't a point. We did Halloween stuff (like you did) but stayed home on Halloween night.
As for Christmas, we only bought Teddy ONE gift to open last Christmas because he doesn't need toys - as he's inherited TONS from Ricky. I think this Christmas will be the same. I agree with you on the economical thing. I would rather bank the money and save up for a vacation to Disneyworld (or somewhere) rather than spend tons of money on crap they don't need. My boys already have 20x the number of toys I had growing up. You aren't cheap - just practical.
Don't let people guilt you into doing stuff. It's nobody's business.
I agree with the other posts. When S was that age, we'd dress up (because I LOVE Halloween) and then go see family and friends. They always had a little something for him, but not candy. I don't think I took him actually Trick or Treating until a couple of years after Moosh and the Baron moved into their house, I think he was in first or second grade. This year I got left behind. He went with friends.
As for the others, he got so spoiled by my ex's family that I don't think we got him more then one or 2 things for his birthday or Christmas for the first 3 or 4 years! And we still don't celebrate the others. I've already told the kids that there won't be presents for Xmas this year either. I want it to be more about family memories then stuff. I'm done with the mall and the crazies!
do what makes you happy & screw the rest. what works for one family doesn't necessarily work for others. the end. why people need to judge you for that is beyond me, but clearly they're idiots.
I'm with you. They haven't a clue what is going on. It's ridiculous to waste the money on stuff that they won't even use or remember.
Post a Comment