February 26, 2010

Nothing in life is "free"

When anything is offered for "free" you have to know that there will be a Price that will be paid for accepting it.

Our vacation is a prime example of this. It was a "free" trip. My MIL paid for our plane tickets, baby K rode in our lap, we stayed in the house that MIL is renting for the month. Out of pocket cost for us was rental car and some groceries/meals, otherwise it was free.....financially free that is.....

Let me start of with saying I love my MIL. She has helped us out a lot in our 15 years together. Back in the day when we could not financially support ourselves she was there to help. Now with baby K she is our primary source of childcare (again free). So please know I love my MIL, however..........

She annoys the living shit out of me! And this trip finally got to T too.

From the over mothering, to butting into our parenting style, to her racist/prejudice/stereo typing (however she will argue that she is either of these) remarks, to her humming along to music in the car, to her weird nervous ticks.....she annoys the shit out of me. By day 3 I had had enough and was ready to come home (it was hard to comprehend that I had to deal with this for another 5 days). T and I went out to dinner one night, just the two of us, and most of what we discussed was venting about her. Ugh...a perfect way to put a damper on a nice vacation.

So yes.....nothing in life is really ever free....emotionally

1 comment:

Melissa said...

So please know I love my MIL, however.......... she annoys the living shit out of me! Ha! Ha! I know exactly what you mean!