When you are determined and organized you sure can pack a lot into two days...
Saturday
9:00 I began my weekend by hitting the town dump. This is one of my Saturday rituals. The dump guys like me, they tend to help me unload the truck whenever I come around. I don't even wear skimpy clothes! Such nice guys...
10:30 My morning continued with a trip to see The Greatest Show on earth!!! The Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey Circus! I bought discounted tickets through work for myself and our friends that have a two year old. I must say, the circus was Quite boring! I guess being 31 takes a lot of the spunk out of it. So after spending $9.50 on some nacho chips and plastic cheese and $3.50 on a diet coke, I headed out of there and off to my commitment...
1:30 The Hairdresser. Time to go back to the summer highlights..blonde, blonde and more blonde! During the Fall and winter months I went to Low Lights, wearing my hair darker than normal, and almost to my natural color. But in the spring/summer I try to get a good bronze happening on my face, so I like to lighten it up a bit. So this was that appointment. After 2 hours in the chair I had new hair, fresh cut and a hairless face :) So I was off to home...
3:30 When I arrived I found my dear husband passed out cold, in a ball, on the love seat in the sun room, the cat has escaped to the front yard, and the garage door was left open.. He was up at 4:30 am for work, so I decided not to wake him just yet. I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my day, after all I still had at least 4 more hours of sunlight left...
I knew that we were heading up to a town near Newport (Peacedale) to hear a band play (Blue Mountain ) on Sunday evening, so I began thinking that maybe we could make a weekend out of it.....and the googling began.
4:30 I found a hotel..an "Inn" about 3 miles from downtown, but still on the Island for $69 a night, so I called and booked it. All the Hotels in town (whether they were on the water or not) were no less than $250 a night-yeah, I don't think so...I packed a duffle bag for us, made a fresh pot of coffee and woke up my DH. After he got down a cup of coffee I brought him in on the plans (mind you-he has no say) and told him to get clean so we could get going...
5:30 We headed out, on our merry way to the happy land of Newport, RI. We take back roads almost the whole way there. It makes for a slow ride (takes around 2 hours) but it is really so much nicer visually.
7:30 We located our "Inn", frankly it was a lot more like the Bates Motel. It looked like it, it felt like it, it was just plain freaky! Oh well, that's what you get for $69 in Newport I guess. So we checked in and took off ASAP. Headed into town to find dinner. After scoring great parking FOR FREE we walked the Wharfs reading menus and decided on a place called Christie's . The sign in front said "Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Different". The decor on the inside was very retro, 60's furniture, bright orange chairs with orange walls. One wall was a blown up photo of 6 woman from the early 50's in their two piece bathing suits. You know, when women actually looked like women. Size 12 was average, they all had curves, and were beautiful!
Anyway..the food was "different". We didn't have the best experience...we ordered a couple of Apps (stuffer Quahogs and Chowder) and our entrees (fish and chips and lobster pie). Well about 25 minutes after we ordered our entrees arrived...no Apps! I was pretty pissed, apps are apps, I don't want them for dessert or with my dinner. So when she brought the stuffies out I made it very clear that I would not be paying for them. Frankly, I am glad they screwed up and I got them for free cause they were rather Icky. The stuffies were really soupy and wet on the inside and if you know me, you know I have a serious issue with textures when I east, so this turned me off immediately!
Now the Lobster Pie on the other hand...OH MY GOD!! I think I might have died and gone to heaven. It was literally the equivalent of 3-4 lobster tails worth of meat, doused in butter, mixed with Ritz crackers crumbs and baked in a skillet until the crackers were crispy...I could not have finished it to save my life. It killed me to have to share it, (I mean it is Lobster here people) but I had to offer DH some because I really wasn't thinking it would last in my car all day Sunday (remember we are staying at Bate's Motel). Anyway, bad apps, Nice environment, high priced wine, delicious entrees-overall rating (out of 5 forks) 3 forks.
11:00 Back to Bate's Motel for a nights sleep on the horrible mattress that you could feel every single spring poking through
Sunday
9:00 Woke up and heading straight out to find a Starbucks or DD (no coffee maker in the Bate's). returned with Hot coffee and woke up DH.
9:45 I showered (with flip flops on), DH decided he would rather be stinky than get naked in in that place.
10:30 Off we went into the day. I noticed a breakfast place when I was out searching for coffee in the morning, so we headed there for a delicious breakfast.
11:30 We stopped in at West Marine to look for new boat shoes for DH. We both wound up buying 2 pairs of new shoes (like I need em!) and almost $300 later walked out of there!
12:00 We arrived at the cliff walk and began the journey of the day. Have you ever done the cliff walk? It is 3.5 miles each way, some of the terrain is a bit rough, but for the most part it is pretty flat. Great walk, worked up a sweat, we enjoyed the views, the breeze and I am really enjoying my fried nose and for head today.
3:00 We returned to the car and headed into town again lunch. We again scored FREE PARKING (very rare on a Sunday) We ate at the Wharf Pub, very good and affordable. We chowed down and raced back to the car in order to make it to the show we had tickets for.
4:30 Arrived at the House Concert we had tickets for. this was rather odd for me...I bought tickets from a guy in RI to go to his home to hear a band play in his living room. This was a true old school "House Concert", very "punk rock". The show was really good, the people were very friendly, and oddly enough we met an older couple there, Liz and Mike, that live in our town!
9:30 Finally got home, squeezed the cat, sniffed his ears, gave him some treats and hit the sack!!
What a weekend!
3 comments:
hey! We were at Christies for apps and two bottles of wine jsut a few weeks ago! We had conch fritters and some pino grigio to go with our very masculine waitress.
...and yes, it certainly was pricy... but loved the decore too.
I think i've stayed in that 'inn' before...lol.
We had a blast at Christies for wine and apps... of course the wine helped with the apps. The Wharf is cool too! love the back porch.
Try the Blues Cafe next time... fab food and atmosphere... pricey but hey, what the hell in Newport isn't?
Ah, yes, I third the "I love the decor at Christies" and for the non-seafood eater (moi) I LOVED the conch fritters. YUM!
Post a Comment