September 14, 2011

Potty training Day 3.....not half bad

As we near the end of day 3 I must say it hasn't been that bad.  Do I have to watch her every move? Yes.  Am I so excited when nap and bedtime come? Yes.  Am I enjoying carrying a potty filled with poop or pee around to bathrooms to flush it and say good bye?  No. 

So far here is what has worked for us:
  • Keeping her potty in the corner of the dining room (both of our bathrooms are on the top floor)
  • Allowing for panty free times.  We start the day with her choice of panties, but within an hour I take them off and allow her to play panty free.  I say loud reminders about sitting on the potty when she needs to pee or poop.
  • After she has a successful trip to the potty we cheer, hoot, holler, high five, rave about how proud we are, etc...then we carry the pot upstairs and make a HUGE deal out of flushing it and saying goodbye.
  • She is rewarded 5 M&M's for pee and 8 for poop.  Plus she gets to continue her Ipad use. 
  • We have advised her that Diapers no longer fit her unless she is sleeping.  Thank god 2 year olds are gullible.
  • I told her that her Dora pullups are undies and there are to be NO accidents in them.
Day 1 we had 2 accidents.  Both were outside, and neither were under Mommy's watch.  Day 2 we had no accidents (not counting the number of times she peed her pants at the beach - I have no idea if she even did).  Today was day 3 and I ventured out of the house with her.  We went to our favorite children's museum.  She peed on the potty before we left the house.  We ventured on a 45min car ride, then out for breakfast, then to the museum.  Our first stop was the bathroom (which has training potty's!!) where she promptly peed!!  Over the next 3 hours I tried to get her to go again.  She showed all the signs of needing to go.  But just wouldn't.  We went out for lunch and returned home 6 hours after leaving...wearing the same Dora pullup she had on when we left!  I stripped off her bottoms as soon as we got home and wham - straight to the potty she went and did both! 

I am so proud of my big girl.  I know we are not there yet, but we are so much closer than we were 3 days ago!

Oh yeah, she woke up totally dry this morning too!  And peed on the potty as soon as she got up!

Sorry to make this about poop and pee, but that is pretty much what my life is consumed with right now.

2 comments:

Danifred said...

I love that you are having so much success! Awesome for both of you!

Carrie27 said...

She is doing great! The initial process of potty training is stressful but once they get it it is such a huge accomplishment.