Over the past 2 weeks Baby K has become terrified of the bath. By terrified I mean all out hysterical crying when I put her in the tub, clinging to me like her life depends on it, sobbing herself into hyper ventilating. Now mind you, we'll be downstairs and I'll say "Baby K would you like to go take a bath?" And she will stand up and race to the stairs, straight up to the tub. But the second I put her in there, forget it.
Neither T or I can figure out a moment that would have caused her to have a "traumatic experience". She has not fallen in the tub, she has not gotten harsh soap in her eyes, we have not held her under.....up until this point a couple weeks back she could have stayed in the tub for 30 minutes, now I am lucky to keep her in there for 5. And most of that 5 she is clinging to me (meaning I am also getting nice and wet).
I tried putting her in the shower with me, and that was not successful either.
Have any of you gone through this? Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I was thinking of changing her bath time this week to be immediately after her first nap, thinking that maybe she is just super tired by the time we give her one at night (?).
Any help would be appreciated.
6 comments:
My oldest had that problem at about 13 months old. She would scream like someone was trying to kill her. I tookher to Target and let her pickout a bunch of new bath toys. I filled up the tub while he was still downstairs with my husband, in case it was the noise that was scaring her, then we brought her upstairs and showed her all the new toy that were in the tub. That helped a bit. She didn't scream but still seemed a little afraid but each night got better. The new toys helped distract her. Sorry I don't have any better advice to share.
I would love to see the feedback, I seem to be having the same problem with Connor. He was even scared of his kiddie pool. It is ok if Daddy bathes him, but if I try he has a complete and total meltdown. Sorry, not helpful, but I want you to know you are not alone!
Make sure the water is warm enough...use a thermometer if you have to (I have a Winnie the Pooh one that tells you if it's cold, just right or too hot). My kids were FREAKING OUT for a few months when our new au pair was bathing them because she has no heat sensors in her fingers (long story), so she was making the bath WAY too cold. When I got her the thermometer, all of a sudden bath time is the best. lol go figure!
It could very well be the water temp....becasue we have had really hot days lately I have been making her bath much cooler than what she was used to. It is still warm, but not as nearly as warm as usual. I also think I'll be changing the time of the day when we do bath time...will let you know what the results are~
Hmmm...Noah has never done this but I was just reading either a blog or on facebook from someone who's 3 year old was doing this. I don't have any good suggestions. I agree with the water temp idea, or is there maybe a new toy that is scaring her? Or maybe try just filling the tub with an inch or two of water for and see if she will get in that. My only other idea would be to get a new bath toy that would interest her (Noah has bath crayons he loves) and maybe she will be so into the new thing she wont freak out. I hope you figure it out! Good luck!
I have no advice, but wanted to wish you "good luck!"
Post a Comment