April 4, 2010

Bad parent or just economical?

I did not get Baby K an Easter basket. I did not get her a gift. I see no point to it, she is 1year 2months old. She has no idea what Easter is. She was not expecting the Easter Bunny to have visited her in the night.

I also did not give her Christmas gifts this year. Again, she was under a year old. No concept of Christmas or Jolly old St Nick. She had too many gifts from others and did not miss not getting anything from us.

6 comments:

iiri said...

IMO...

We did do the x-mas thing with Liam. Last year we did the Easter thing as well.

THIS year, we did the xmas thing, but not easter. Looking around I am so disgusted by the commercialism that it has become, so i'm not going to buy into it. I am spending time with my family, and will maybe buy post easter candy on sale, but no basket, no fake grass, no bunny. Nothing to do with the real meaning.

Seriously though, if it weren't for the stores bombarding us with easter stuff, like walk in the door and see nothing but, I may have gone the small basket route, color the eggs, but no.

Easter, for us anyway, has evolved. IMO, into what it's more meant to be. (I'm not religious...so bear that in mind...)

Beth Kyle said...

I didn't make Z a basket, but I did get her a little bunny. I only did it because when I was a little girl my mom got me a bunny each year and I had a collection. I want that for her. Nothing expensive - just a little furry rabbit.....

Amanda said...

Christmas we just bought one gift (a book) for Noah to open, and we put money in his savings account...same with his birthday. We put out a few easter eggs to "find" and he actually had a lot of fun with it. I didn't think he would be that into it, but he liked opening them to see what was inside. I also did a small basket full of goldfish crakers, animal cookies, and bubbles and crayons. I figured it was all stuff I was going to buy him anyway :) But I certainly wouldn't spend a ton of money on anything for Easter...not now, not ever. I think each year $10 a kid will be our limit.

BUT...I don't think not doing anything is "bad" at all. She really wont even know the difference anyway.

Anonymous said...

You are not a bad Mommy. :-) I say, to each his own! :-)
We did gifts for Hunter for Christmas (stuff that he needed) AND a small Easter basket yesterday (again stuff he needed, new sippy cup and binkies, a beach hat, some Gerber puffs). And I honestly loved every minute of it. I know it was more for OUR benefit, than his, but I want those photographs and memories. I love looking back at them and smiling at Hunter's "firsts". :-)

Kate said...

you big cheapskate!
lol, just kidding of course! :) we didn't do easter either this year. altho i did get them new toys, it was for the 9 hr car ride. (& to help save my sanity, since they refuse to sleep more than 2 hrs in the car.) baby k is so loved, that kid will never miss the gifts! (& if she's like my guys, you could pry jsut hand her wrapping paper & she'd be happier with that anyways!)

Liz said...

No Easter baskets here either. The kids got SO much stuff from their grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, etc. It's crazy.